- I don't believe my definition of art has changed since the beginning of class. I've always thought it to be a reflection of yourself. Art should always be whatever you want to make it. It should be something that comes from your mind, not based on what anyone else says.
- A project which I learned and developed the most from is probably the animal head. At the beginning, I was discouraged and didn't think I would be able to do it. Once I did, I was extremely happy with the outcome and very proud of myself. It taught me different techniques and to never give up no matter how hard it might be.
- A project that reflects me the most is the weaving. It shows my personality in the bright colors and patterns. I have been making bracelets out of yarn since I was little which is why I think this weaving project came so naturally to me. It almost connects me to my childhood which I believe makes it so personal.
- The project I found to be most difficult was the animal head. Forming the shape of the head out of clay was extremely hard but once I got it, I was very proud of myself for not giving up. Then, making the face of the giraffe look realistic was another struggle. If I were to do it again, I would need more reference pictures from all angles of the head.
- A technique I used to get idea for artwork was using Pinterest for inspiration. Each project I found inspiration photos of similar projects on Pinterest. It helped me form ideas for my projects without copying. Everything I found gave me different ideas which I changed to make it my own. It was very successful because it inspired me and helped me create all the pieces of work I've done.
This is my dwelling project. It could be any type of residence so I decided to start off making an igloo. I used copper wire to form the shape of the igloo which wasn't too hard except that it would bend out of place easily. After I made the shape out of wire, I decided to use yarn and make it more colorful. I've always made bracelets out of yarn so I started doing that and put that part in the middle where it curls and almost looks like DNA. Then I wrapped the extra yarn around the wire to give it more decoration and secured it with super glue. If I had more time, I probably would've added yarn to the front wire on the igloo. The most difficult part was probably the wire bending out of place so easily. I am happy with how it turned out because I liked making the middle yarn pieces and the bright colors.
Pit Firing is the oldest known method for firing pottery. The unfired pots are placed in a pit in the ground and then covered with combustible materials such as wood shavings, leaves, sawdust, and dried manure. The top of the pit is then protected and covered while underneath is set on fire and carefully tended.
A foil saggar is when the pot is coated with Ferric Chloride then wrapped in aluminum foil which isolates the pottery while it is fired. The foil gets vaporized in the process of firing.
A paper saggar is also when the pottery is coated with Ferric Chloride. Then it is placed inside a paper bag with straw and colorants. The bag will be crumpled and wrapped in layers of newspaper, then fired.
This is a free project, so our materials had to be free or under 3$. I decided to use a deck of cards I had at my house. The hardest part of this project was to figure out what I was going to make with the cards. After a while of thinking, I decided to just start cutting and sticking them together. It was pretty difficult to get them to stay put together once I kept adding onto it. There was more cards to the sculpture but they ended up falling apart before I could fix it. I also ended up using glue to try and secure the cards in place better to prevent it from completely falling apart. I really like how it turned out because I think it looks really neat and abstract.
Vessel pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/alicsapo/vessels/
This project was to make some sort of vessel. I have a lot of candles in my room so I thought to make a kind of candle holder. Later it turned into more of something to put over a candle and have the light shining through. I used clay and part of a pipe to form a cylinder. Then I used an exacto-knife to cut shapes from clay and attached them to the top of the cylinder. Next, I used a broken colored pencil to poke lots of holes through the middle and I loved how it made the clay point out kind of like flowers. After it was fired, I glazed it with a lot of colors I really like and made the holes black so the candle light would be a bigger contrast. I'm proud of how it came out and I love how it looks with a candle inside.
This project was an animal head so I chose a giraffe because it's my grandma's favorite animal. The hardest part was forming the shape of the head. The took me the longest because it was hard to make it look realistic. Once I formed the head, I hollowed out the neck and attached it. Next, I attached the horns on top of the head and formed the ears. The ears had to be big which made them heavy and very difficult to stay on. After it dried more, the ears were more reluctant to stay attached. I decided to glaze it after it was fired which was my favorite part. I enjoyed painting the spots and am happy with how it came out.
I created these sculptures from styrofoam cups in attempt to try and make them not look so much like a cup. For example, I tried cutting a cup and making it look like some sort of flower. It was difficult getting all the seperate pieces to stick in place but more cutting did the trick. If I were to do this again, I would probably try making a more unique sculpture out of the cup and make the cuts striaighter.